Total tour distance: 220 miles
Daily tour distance: 110 miles
Difficulty: 90 / 100
365 Km by bike from across Transfagarasan and Transalpina – the highest roads in Romania
- Includes one night in Sibiu
- Full board and accommodation
- Support, guiding and assistance
- Bike rental and transport
Experience a two days cycling adventure, crossing two times the Carpathians from South to North and from North to South, and spend one night in Sibiu – a former European Capital in 2007, a medieval and bohemian city filled with history.
- Vidraru dam
- Balea Lake
- Balea Cascade
- Cartisoara village
- Sibiu city
- Villages nea Sibiu
- Vidra Lake
- Traditional sheppard yard near Vidra
- Ranca mountain resort
- Horezu resort
- Unesco World Heritage
Duration: 2 full days days road cycling tour
Distance: 365 km by bike
Terrain: The tour includes national roads with medium quality road asphalt
Accommodation: local pension with organic local food and breakfast included
• The program requires a minimum of 3 people and a maximum of 15 participans;
• One guide will be provided for a group of up to 6 persons and 2 guides for more than 6 participants;
Price: from 238 to 283 EUR (bike included) for +10 people group
Day1: From Curtea de Arges to Sibiu, over Transfagarasan road
Your trip starts at Curtea de Arges – former capital of Walachia, the place where Romanian kings are sleeping. You can experience the old monastery – a piece of art, before planning your trip in an old restored hotel.
In the first cycling day you will pass Fagaras Mountains from South to North along Transfagarasan road – one of the most spectacular roads in the world. Vidraru Dam, Balea Lake and Balea Cascade are the main objectives on the road.
After 34 km small climb from Curtea de Arges, the next 50 km are the real experience for you. After short stop at Balea Lake – highest point of the road (2,000m) – for lunch, another 35 km descending is waiting for you to Cartisoara village.
From Cartisoara you can continue your route by bike to Sibiu for another 46 km, or you can join our assistance van and enjoy Sibiu.
Accommodation and dinner in Sibiu.
Day 2: from Sibiu to Horezu across Transalpina road
Second day – the King’s road. Crossing again the Carphatians from North to South, along the highest road in Romania (2075m). The starting point is Sibiu, while the finishing point is Horezu. The total distance is 200 km, out of which ~70 km difficult climbing.
First 45 km will follow the hilly villages near Sibiu to Jina, up to 1,000m altitude. From Jina to Dobra the route descends to 450m altitude, before the most difficult part of the route: 50 km climb up to 1,750m altitude. A short lunch break at a traditional shepperd house will be organized.
After 13 km of descent to Vidra Lake, a new climbing session will follow to reach the highest point of the route – 2,075m. From here, after 28 km of descent, you will finally reach Novaci village, the final location of Transalpina road. From Novaci you can continue the route by bike for another 38 km to Horezu, or you can join our assistance van.
Optional, you can stay for one more night in a beautifully restored Old manor near Horezu before returning in Curtea de Arges.
For groups, we recommend to organize your trip during week days, due the high traffic on both routes.
We recommend road bikes for your comfort.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Two nights accommodation
- Full board for all period - Breakfasts, Dinners and Picnic Lunches
- All tickets to sights included in the itinerary
- Luggage transportation
- Vehicle Assistance (whenever roads allow it to pass)
- Bike transport (on request)
- Energizers & refreshment drinks
- Trip plan, GPS
- Branded T-shirts
- English speaking accompanying bike guide (Note: We may organize also German or French Speaking guides, plus inquire)
- Alcoholic drinks
- Transfer cost to Curtea de Arges
- Flight tickets
- Individual travel Insurance or insurance waiver form (compulsory in order to be accepted for the tour, for foreign tourists)