Total tour distance: 200 miles
Daily tour distance: 27 miles
Difficulty: 50 / 100
Transylvania’s medieval heritage is one of the most the most valuable from Romania. South Eastern Transylvania is also one of Europe’s most important natural and cultural landscapes, supporting rare habitats and flauna and flora species in Europe. The landscape is a mosaic of oak and beech forests, rich meadows and pastures. The small Transylvanian villages centred on fortified churches are still keeping the same level of civilization. We are inviting you to discover the amazing world of Transylvanian fortresses and churches, included in UNESCO World Heritage. The Saxon people defended their rich villages during the Middle Ages by building enormous fortresses around the churches. These unique historical sites are still preserved today.
• Around 300 Km by bike in 7 days
• 7 days to discover the Saxon legacy, the culture and the traditions of this Medieval Area, a land that time forgot
• Rides across traditional Saxon villages, part of the Natura 2000 European Union’s protected area
This trip brings you along country roads and pastoral landscapes far from the crowded routes, on flat terrain, unpaved country trails, up and downhill trails enjoying the incredible Transylvanian scenery.
Our trip is made for tourists with average level of experience who enjoy biking in a natural and authentic environment. We prepared tours along the most fascinating fortified churches of Transylvania. You will visit splendid nature reserves, authentic villages and historical towns. We will bring you in contact with the local population, their habits and folklore.
It is not the idea to cycle the longest distances, but to enjoy the natural landscape and historical sights of Transylvania. The trip offers diversity, thus you will have the possibility to make some short hiking trips, taste wine, do some horse riding or visit historical and cultural sites.
The transfers are made by minibus. Because the bus stays with the group for luggage transport and support, you will have the possibility to cycle longer or shorter distances to your preferences.
Accommodation is provided in 3-4* hotel rooms but in most cases beautifully restored old pensions. Each evening you will enjoy a typical local dinner. Mornings you will have a continental breakfast, with lots of artisan products, home-grown vegetables.
A specialized guide accompanies and assists you with technical problems and will give you all tourist information about the area, as well as bringing you in contact with the local people.
• Biertan/Birthaelm fortified church – in the UNESCO World heritage since 1993
• Viscri/Deutschweisskirck fortified church – in the UNESCO World Heritage since 1996
• Malancrav/Malmkrog fortified church –famous for its mural painting, one of the best preserved specimens of 14th century linear-narrative gothic painting
• Saschiz fortified church – in the UNESCO World Heritage since 1993
• Sighisoara/Schaessburg – the last European "living" Middle Age city
• Count Kolnoky castle in Miclosoara
• Brasov/Kronstadt – one of the most important medieval cities in Central part of the country
• Cund/ – a splendid small village, renovated by the German community
• Sibiu/Hermannstadt – impressive medieval city well knows as the Cultural capital of Europe in 2007
Duration: 7-day cycling tour(optional: 1 additional day in Sibiu)
Distance: around 300 km by bike
Difficulty: moderate level
Elevation: 2500 m in total
Terrain: The tour includes national, local, village and forest roads, varying from 30 to 60 km per day.
Accommodation: beautifully restored medieval pensions and 3-4* hotels with breakfast included.
• 5 to 15 persons;
• guide will be provided for a group of up to 4 persons and 2 guides for more than 4 participants;
Price: 1752 EUR (bike included)
WHAT IS INCLUDED
• 7/8 nights accommodation (differs if optional day included)
• Full board for all period - Breakfasts, Dinners and Picnic Lunches
• Detailed trip description and program, GPS map, physical map of the trip
• Bike, accessories and equipment rental (if required)
• All entrances to cultural and historical sights included in the itinerary
• Energizers & refreshment drinks
• Luggage transportation
• Vehicle Assistance (whenever roads allow it to pass)
• English speaking accompanying bike guide (Note: We may organize also German or French Speaking guides, plus inquire)
• Local Taxes
• Branded Tshirt
• Optional: 1 day visit in Sibiu
• Optional: transfer from/to Bucharest (please inquire)
• Airfare cost
• Alcoholic drinks
• Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
• Transfer cost from Bucharest to Brasov and from Sibiu to Bucharest
• Individual travel Insurance for the trip (compulsory in order to be accepted for the tour)
• Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)
• Additional local guides, if required
• Single room supplement
• All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document