Total tour distance: 339 miles
Daily tour distance: 38 miles
Difficulty: 50 / 100
This SW landscape is 300 million years old and it is one of the most preserved landscapes all over Europe; human intervention is less visible throughout the area’s long history. Once submerged (about 2 million years ago), this is a vast area with many different coastal habitats and countless beaches and cliffs.
The overall difficulty level for this tour is 3, Intermediate (more precisely, level 2.8 between 1~5). It is recommended for "bikers" and "cyclists". It is supposed that you are in good shape.
Starting south of Lisbon, this bicycle tour in Portugal guides you to a winery where you will learn about the famous Moscatel wine and also taste it (Guided version).
Then you will enter one of the lushest areas south of Lisbon - the Natural Park of Arrabida. On one side of the park, you'll admire the beautiful Mediterranean landscape and on the other side, the gorgeous coast with accessible beaches where the fine sand and clear sea waters provide a strong contrast of unusual colours.
After leaving a fishing town you will ride your bicycle a long way to get to a place that was very important in the Roman times because of the salt that was produced here. During the tour you will learn why the salt was so important on those days. We will stop for a while to regain our strength and to visit the Roman ruins.
Than you will cycle along the coast, where the Natural Park of SW Alentejo and Vicentine Coast begins. This Park extends itself along the Portuguese coast and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean. Numerous cliffs and isolated islets complete this beautiful and unique scenery. This area boasts a diversity of rare botanical species, with very interesting flora and a variety of maritime birds that nest here. Cape S. Vicente is a passing area for thousands of birds of prey.
This bicycle tour in Portugal also goes to the south-westernmost point in continental Europe, the place from where our brave forefathers sailed on their caravels seeking new peoples and continents. Finally, you have the opportunity to visit some of the beaches of our famous Algarve and the cosmopolitan and one of the oldest towns in the Algarve. This town also has an olf fort and its former Slave Market is now an Art Gallery. You can still see evidence of the wall surrounding the town for protection.
This bike tour in Portugal continues eastwards and it ends in Tavira, a town that still manages to maintain its traditions with Moorish influence, with its countless buildings and monuments and the amazing Roman bridge over Gilão river in the historic centre.
You will notice the differences along the Algarve region: the centre is very developed for tourism and the west and the east still maintain many evidences of the old Portuguese ways and traditions.
1. The amazing blue coast of Natural Park of Arrábida
2. The Natural Park of SW Alentejo and Vicentine Coast
3. Stunning views of Alentejo beaches
4. Tasty fresh fish of the Atlantic Coast
5. Visit to the winery and wine tasting
6. The cosmopolitan and oldest town in the Algarve
7. The south-westernmost town of Continental Europe
8. Paradise-like beaches and the beautiful coast of Algarve
9. Roman Occupation and the Salt
10. The Roman ruins
11. Thousands of orange trees in the fields
12. Vast fields of vegetable crops
13. Tavira – the most typical town in the Algarve
14. Cape S. Vicente - the birds and the sunset into the Atlantic Ocean
THE PRICE INCLUDES (Self-Guided tours)
- 12-day Road Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (12 nights): 2 Pousadas (a 12th century moorish castle , and an 18th century Palace), 9 four*-Hotels (one Hotel & SPA in front of the ocean, one charming Hotel, one Design Hotel in front of the ocean and six cosy Hotels), 1 B&B/Rural Tourism. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 11 Breakfasts
- 4 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 10 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
- Visit to the winery and wine tasting (*)
- Visit to the Roman Ruins (*)
- Visit to an old Olive Oil Factory and a Distilery (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours