Total tour distance: 127 miles
Daily tour distance: 25 miles
Difficulty: 40 / 100
This is a gorgeous Hybrid Bike Tour which takes you to several Manor Houses, Palaces and Monasteries; these magnificent places were once inhabited by the clergy or the Queens and Kings of Portugal and now are converted into exquisite lodgings, which we call POUSADAS. This Tour starts in Valença do Minho which is a historic village in Northern Portugal located near the Spanish border; the border line is the beautiful river Minho and the village is surrounded by walls. There is a fortress with two towers and double walls, several manor houses and small palaces and several churches too. Then we will ride to Viana do Castelo, a town founded in the 13th century and whose port was one of the main ports from which the Portuguese explorers set sail, due to the Discoveries in the 16th century. We will cycle along the river Lima to Ponte de Lima, admiring an astonishing view and luxuriant vegetation. Ponte de Lima is a beautiful small town whose name derives from the bridge (ponte) which was the only safe way to cross Lima river. We will cross the hills in Gerês and will stay in a 12th century Monastery converted into a charming hotel. Next stop will be in a Nature hotel located in the heart of Peneda/Gerês National Park with a breathtaking view over the river and the peaceful Caniçada dam. On our last day we will ride to Guimarães which is traditionally known as the birthplace of the Portuguese nation. You can visit the medieval historic centre, the castle and the palace nearby and feel the medieval atmosphere around you. We will stay in a Convent dated of the 12 century.
1. Accommodations in Historic Hotels in Castles, Palaces, Monasteries and Fortresses
2. Magnificent views over the rivers and luxuriant vegetation
3. Santa Luzia and the beautiful view over Viana
4. Churches and Manor houses everywhere
5. The rich gastronomy and the famous wine of the region: vinho verde
6. Ponte de Lima – the oldest small town in Portugal with its amazing bridge
7. Guimaraes – the birth of Portuguese nationality
8. Re-live history itself in each stone, each glance and each object
9. Peneda/Geres National Park and the amazing landscape
10. Feeling a different outstanding atmosphere in each Pousada
THE PRICE INCLUDES (self-guided version)
- 7-day Hybrid Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Oporto Airport
- Accommodations (5 nights in Pousadas – luxury Historic Hotels): one 12th century Monastery, one 17th century Fortress, one early 20th century Palace, one typical House in the mountains, one 12th century Convent) and one modern 4*-Hotel. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 3 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Pousada to Pousada
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Liability Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
Ask us the prices for the Guided Tour version.
Please contact us for more information. Thank you.