Total tour distance: 156 miles
Daily tour distance: 31 miles
Difficulty: 40 / 100
This is a gorgeous Road Bike Tour (on which you can also use a Hybrid Bike) which takes you to several Castles, Palaces, Monasteries and Convents; these magnificent places were once inhabited by the clergy or the Queens and Kings of Portugal and now are converted into exquisite lodgings, which we call POUSADAS.
This Tour starts in Marvao, a small medieval town on the top of the hill, surrounded by walls and with a majestic castle that defended this small town from the Spanish people many times. There you can admire a spectacular view before you start riding down. Afterwards, you will climb to a little chapel on the top of a hill where there is an amazing view over Castelo de Vide, another medieval town, and its rows of whitewashed houses.
You will ride along narrow roads, either sided by cork trees or stone walls and you will get to a quiet place, where you will stay in an amazing building that was once a convent and today is a luxury hotel.
On the next day you will ride towards one of the most traditional wine regions in Portugal. You can visit a vineyard and taste the world famous Alentejo wine.
The ride continues to the capital of marble in Portugal, where you can visit the Museum of Marble and learn how this industry began. You will also visit a pottery workshop. And you will get a wonderful walled town with many Roman vestiges, medieval churches and buildings, fountains, the aqueduct, charming streets, etc., that is classified as World Heritage by UNESCO.
This PortugalBike Tour ends in Arraiolos which is famous for its rugs that are still hand-made following a tradition that is documented since the 17th century. We also visit a Winery which includes an amazing collection of carriages from the 18th to the 20th centuries. The tour ends with a visit to a Sculpture Garden representing a Terracota Town.
1. Accommodations in Historic Hotels, Castles, Palaces, Monasteries and Fortresses
2. The majestic Marvão Castle from the top
3. Fields of cork trees, olive trees and vineyards
4. The 13th century medieval town of Marvão
5. Visit to a winery and wine tasting
6. Arraiolos - famous for its rugs
7. Amazing white marble quarries
8. Re-live history itself in each stone, each glance and each object
9. A World Heritage town classified by UNESCO
10. Feeling a different outstanding atmosphere in each Pousada.
THE PRICE INCLUDES (Self-Guided version):
- 7-day Road Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (6 nights in Pousadas – luxury Historic Hotels): one luxury Convent, one 14th Monastery, one 13th century Palacelike, two 16th century Convents and one Typical house. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 4 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Pousada to Pousada
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Liability Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance and First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
- Visit to Marble Museum (*)
- Visit two Wineries and wine tasting (*)
- Visit to a Carriage Driving Museum (*)
- Visit to a Sculpture Garden (*)
- Visit to a Pottery workshop
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
Ask us the prices for the Guided Tour version.
Please contact us for more information. Thank you.