Total tour distance: 74 miles
Daily tour distance: 23 miles
Difficulty: 30 / 100
Riding the range takes on new meaning as you explore the wide-open spaces and mystical landscape of Colorado’s San Luis Valley on bike and horseback. Cycle the “ancient roads” of the Los Caminos Antiguos Byway, and traverse the area that served as the gateway to Spanish Explorers. Then saddle up and ride some of the 60,000 acres of open range on horseback, providing you with the unique opportunity to view bands of wild mustangs in their natural habitat.
Day 1 – Arrival in San Luis Valley
A private, working guest ranch is your home for the duration of your trip. Your stay at the ranch is exclusive – you will not share your time with other guests. Take time this afternoon to tour the ranch and view the many Texas Longhorn cattle and paint horses that roam the property. Or, relax and sip a glass of wine in The Trophy Room. This is your opportunity to go back in time and experience life at a slower pace.
Day 2 – San Luis Valley Loop – 16mi – 32mi (26km – 51km)
Journey into history as you cross the paths of 16th Century Spanish Explorers. Descend into San Luis, the oldest town in Colorado, with 14,000’ foot Culebra Peak as your backdrop. Visit the beautiful Chapel of All Saints and view the inspiring and artistic Shrine of the Stations of the Cross. Savor the flavors of a rustic Southwestern meal. Bask in the afterglow of a day well spent and stargaze under the vast San Luis Valley sky.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner included
Day 3 – Cucharas Pass – 22mi – 42mi (35km – 67km)
Transfer today to La Veta, Colorado and beautiful Cucharas Pass. Bike roads traveled by Kit Carson, General Freemont and other notable explorers who were responsible for opening the southwestern United States to settlement. Options for today are varied, based on your level of experience. Coast down the Scenic Highway of Legends, once a Native American Trail. Glide past verdant pastures vibrant with wild iris, towering pines, and groves of quaking aspen. Marvel at the Devil’s Stairsteps, giant volcanic rock formations that sit in the shadow of massive peaks.
For those up to the challenge, you can elect to start your trip in La Veta and ride to the top of Cucharas Pass. Activity alert! The ride TO THE TOP of the pass is advanced! Or, ride to the town of Cucharas and stop to enjoy refreshments and visit one of the quaint shops.
Transfer back to the ranch.
Breakfast, Dinner included
Day 4 – Horseback Riding and Wild Mustang Viewing
Switch saddles and set out for an authentic western experience. Wind along the Rio Grande River in your quest to view wild mustangs, view nesting Golden Eagles, and verify rumors that John Wayne is still on location, filming one last movie. Roam wide-open prairies, and crest rolling hills. Enjoy lunch on the open range under infinite skies as you take in panoramic views of this high desert valley from every angle.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner included
Day 5 – Departure
Your Western Adventure comes to an end. Y’all come back now, y’here!
- Handpicked accommodations at an exclusive guest ranch for 4 nights
- 4 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 4 dinners
- The use of a GPS Garmin with downloaded routes (1 Garmin per 2 people)
- detailed written daily route directions
- The use of a GoPro Hero4 Silver (1 GoPro per 2 people)
- Private in-person welcome orientation with our local representatives
- Maps.Me app with downloaded routes on your mobile device
- 1 day of guided horseback riding and wild mustang viewing
- 2 days of cycling through panoramic scenery
- Transfers to/from Cucharas Pass
- Emergency and technical support by our local representative
- Complimentary At Your Pace -- Freestyle Cycling Adventures water bottle and luggage tag
- Airfare or other transportation to and from the tour.
- Pre or post tour lodging
- Travel insurance & personal expenses
- Bike rental available (Includes helmet, pannier, toolkits, and more!
- Denver, or San Luis Valley pre or post nights
- Custom tours
- Additional road riding days
- Hiking the Great Sand Dunes National Monument
All lodging includes private bath and a variety of other amenities. Hotels include:
- Spotted Fever Ranch
Want to know more? Contact Pamela at 970-776-0181. Or, send an email to email@example.com.
Visit At Your Pace - Freestyle Cycling Adventures website
Is this your listing? Log in to edit.