Total tour distance: 1210 miles
Daily tour distance: 60 miles
Difficulty: 60 / 100
What a Bike Tour! AllTrails are running this incredible ride again in July 2014. To be able to ride from Rome to Paris, with AllTrails Bicycle Tours and experience the life of the local people along the way is a very special event. 17 year enthusiasm, experience guaranteed.
This is a tour with spectacular accommodation, top class food, a wonderful support team, and top organisation from the first time you contact us through to post-ride communications.
Rome to Turin is the first half of this ride - a wonderful trip of cycling, eating and experiencing life the Italian way. After leaving the ancient city of Rome, you cycle the landscapes of Tuscany; its culture and traditions, history and villages steeped in artistic legacy. You climb over the Apennines then into the Piedmont area (meaning 'foot of the mountain'), which is also a great place for wineries, sunflowers and fantastic cycling, before Turin on the Po River, home of rich culture, history, museums, galleries and sometimes called 'the cradle of Italian liberty'.
Turin to Paris is the second half of that ride - a tour taking in some of the legendary Tour de France climbs over the French Alps; Alpe d' Huez, Col de Lautaret, Col de Galibier (optional extra).
The twisting turning climbs are not only favourites of the pro riders, but also the recreational cyclist who wants to experience the elation of elevation, with the knowledge of a descent that only the Alps can provide.
Celebrate your triumphs with a ride through the burgundy countryside, perhaps visit a winery or two before the epic final stretch of riding alongside the Seine River, past Notre Dame and finishing under the Eiffel Tower. Celebrate with a French champagne lunch before the big day tomorrow, watching the TDF racing around the Champs Elysees.
- Cross paths with the Tour de France in the Alps
- See the final day of the Tour de France in Paris
- Optional extra catered grandstand Paris package
- Climb Alpe d'Huez, stay overnight at the top
- Climb Tour de France cols Lauteret and Galibier
- Rest day in Beaune, capital of Burgundy wines
- 1 night in Paris near the Champs-Elysees
- 1 night in the ancient city of Rome
- Cycle through magnificent Tuscany
- Enjoy Lucca, Emilia Romagna, the val D’Orcia
- Optional side trips to Pisa, Siena
- Food: the tour is described as a culinary delight
- Leg 22 departs 1 day before Tour de France
- Leg 23 finishes 1 day before Tour de France