Total tour distance: 125 miles
Daily tour distance: 25 miles
Difficulty: 40 / 100
Dates 1st April – 15th of December 2016
Spectacular scenery framed by the Pyrenees mountains, carefully preserved thousand year old monasteries, lush green valleys, three rivers, rolling farmland with fields of orchards, sunflowers, vineyards, olive groves, coastal paths and unspoilt beaches not forgetting the medieval city of Girona – this cycling tour captures the breathtaking beauty of Catalonia.
We meet you at Girona Airport or Flaca Station (if arriving from Barcelona) and take you to the mountain town of Ripoll famous for its Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria. You will spend the first night at the comfortable La Sequia Molinar Hotel with beautiful modern designed rooms friendly staff and free Wi Fi. Welcome glass of Cava, tour orientation, maps, bike fitting and dinner booked in the hotel’s restaurant.
Day 2: Ripoll to Olot
This morning you are ready to set off on your 140km journey from the mountains to the sea. The first section follows the old carrilet railway originally used to bring ore and coal down from the mines in Ogassa. The route takes you up through the valley to the town of Sant Joan de les Abadesse where you can stop for a leisurely lunch. Onwards now to Olot which lies within the protected area of the Natural Park of the Volcanic area of the Garrotxa.
This evening will be spent at the family run Hotel Borrell in a very central location. The city of Olot has a rich cultural heritage and fine examples of Modernist architecture can be seen in the Carmelite Cloisters dating back to the Renaissance. There are lots of good restaurants and bars which we can recommend.
Day 3: The Garrotxa Volcanic Area
Today you will explore the Garrotxa region around Olot, famous for its volcanic landscape. There is also a very good museum dedicated to the subject in Olot which is worth exploring. You can use this day to cycle down to Santa Pau before heading to your next destination 14 kms south of Olot. This evening you are based at La Rectoria, a beautifully restored rectory directly adjacent to the Vias verde cycle path. Roy and Goretti will assure you of a warm welcome. Roy was previously a chef at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh and Goretti was a whisky taster at Glenmorangie so after they prepare you a delicious meal you may even get to sample a wee dram!
Day 4: Olot to Girona
This 43km route crosses three regions and twelve towns, following the valleys of the Fluvia, Brugent and Ter rivers. The Narrow-gauge Railway route descends smoothly from Olot to Girona with only one section of uphill effort. The trail is in very good condition and has been fitted with new bridges, railings and signs. It crosses through magnificent scenery of great ecological and cultural value. It begins in the Garrotxa volcanic area and reaches the Ter valley and on to the pasturelands of Salt and Girona. Tonight will be spent in the Hotel Llegendes situated in the old town (the Jewish Quarter) of Girona next to the magnificent Gothic Cathedral and a few minutes walk from lively tapas bars and restaurants.
Day 5: Girona to the coast
After leaving Girona behind the trail crosses the Selva depression, characterised by a patchwork of croplands and forests. On a clear day you can enjoy a panoramic view of the eastern Pyrenees before crossing the Ridaura valley and skirting the edge of the Gavarres an area covered in unspoilt forest. The route runs gently down to Castell d’Aro then on to the fishing town of Palamos where you will stay for the next two nights in the Hotel Trias beautifully decorated in a colonial style overlooking the beach and the port. Dinner will be served in the hotel’s restaurant.
Day 6: The Beach/Coastal Paths
Today is based in and around Palamos. You may want to visit the Fish Museum on the harbour or wander round the fish market, or cycle the coastal path to Cap Roig a botanical garden of stunning beauty in Calella de Parafrugell or you might just want to lie on the beach and do nothing but write postcards.
Distance and level – your choice.
Day 7: Transfer back to Girona airport or Express Bus from Palamos to Barcelona.
Cost per person:
April 1st - December 15th 2016 from €950
Prices include transfers to and from Girona and transfer to Ripoll
Your holiday price includes:
- Bed & breakfast for 6 nights.
- 3 Dinners
- Welcome glass of cava
- Transfer from Girona airport or Flaca station to Ripoll.
- 1 night’s accommodation in Hotel La Sequia Molinar in Ripoll - www.lasequiamolinar.com
- 1 nights accommodation in the Hotel Borrell in Olot. www.hotelborrell.com
- 1 night's accommodation at La Rectoria www.larectoriadesantmiquel.com
- 1 night’s accommodation in the Hotel Llegendes www.hotelllegendes.com
- 2 nights accommodation in the Hotel Trias in Palamos. www.hoteltrias.com
- Lightweight aluminium 21 speed hybrid touring bike (bikes available for children 9+) including water bottle, helmets, panniers if required, tool kit and pump.
- Information pack which includes cycle route maps, your itinerary and hotel details, restaurant recommendations for the journey and emergency telephone numbers and contacts.
- Transportation of luggage between hotels. (Please note on Day 1 and 2, luggage will be transported to La Rectoria south of Olot for arrival on Day 3)
- Emergency back up and assistance.
What is not included:
- Flights- Ryanair fly into Girona airport from most parts of Europe.
- Remember to book early for the best deals.
- Lunches, tapas, drinks, entrance fees, and evening meals not specified.
- Additional nights accommodation- You may want to extend your stay in Barcelona or Girona.
- Travel insurance.