Total tour distance: 94 miles
Daily tour distance: 19 miles
Difficulty: 20 / 100
Alentejo is the perfect set for riding a bicycle and experiencing an unforgettable adventure.
One of the most typical sights in this region is a vast field with some cork oak trees here and there (the so-called Montado) and the herds (sometimes sheep, sometimes pigs or cows) usually enjoying the shade of the trees. The villages with their whitewashed one-floor houses are a picturesque landscape in Alentejo.
The people here are very proud of their heritage and they preserve the ancient buildings and also the ancient practices. This is a region that has a very rich handicraft tradition – pottery, embroideries, hand-painted furniture, wrought-iron works, etc. The local gastronomy is varied and quite tasty and perfectly matches the famous local wines.
This tour starts in Elvas, an old border town which is classified as World Heritage by UNESCO.
You visit the capital of marble in Portugal and you can see marble everywhere, even the sidewalks are made of marble. You visit the Marble Museum where you can see how they work in the quarries now and how they used to do it in the past.
The tour continues along quarries, vineyards and cork trees. The roads are quiet, the landscape is amazing! You cycle surrounded by natural beauty and you feel alone within this peaceful environment!
The tour ends in a Convent which was converted into a Charm Hotel and that is located within a cork tree forest. This is the perfect place to end our adventure!
1. Vast vineyards in Alentejo
2. Quiet roads! Beautiful environment!
3. The quarries and the marble extraction
4. Visit to a winery with wine tasting
5. Quiet small towns and their traditions
6. Marble - the white gold of Alentejo
7. Elvas - classified as World Heritage by UNESCO
8. Visit to the Marble Museum
9. Tasty food together with fantastic wines
10. Old buildings converted into charming hotels
THIS PRICE INCLUDES: (self-guided version)
- 7-day Hybrid Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (6 nights): 1 Pousada (one 14th century Palace), 2 four* Historic Hotels, 2 three* Hotels, 1 three* Rural Hotel. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 6 Dinners (including the tasted wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- The wineries – 2 guided visits and wine tasting (*)
- Visit to a Museum (*)
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
NB: You may choose to upgrade the accomodations, staying in a 5* Hotel made of marble instead of the 3* Hotel (2 nights) and 1 more night in the Pousada instead of the 3* Rural Hotel. Please ask us more details for the upgrade.
(*) Not included in the Self-Guided Tours