Total tour distance: 159 miles
Daily tour distance: 32 miles
Difficulty: 70 / 100
This is THE PORTUGUESE PILGRIM'S WAY to Santiago de Compostela (Camino Portugues). Camino de Santiago de Compostela (The Way of Saint James) is a bicycle tour that is different from all the other PortugalBike Tours. This is the Medieval Way to get Santiago de Compostela, in Spain. This tour is impossible to be done with a Road Bike, or even with a Hybrid Bike. That's why we have to use a Mountain Bike for this tour.
The overall difficulty level for this tour is 3, Intermediate (more precisely, level 3.4 between 1~5). It is recommended for "bikers" and "cyclists". It is supposed that you are in good shape.
Cycling the way of St James we follow the way to Santiago de Compostela, a city located in Galicia, a province in the north of Spain. The Portuguese way to Santiago is very mystic, full of positive energy, of belief and of faith.
Camino de Santiago is a way that has been covered by thousands and thousands of pilgrims along the centuries since the 9th century. We cannot say that there is only “one” way (“camino”) to Santiago de Compostela. There are several, because the idea is to get to the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Way of St James (the Camino de Santiago) was originally covered on foot by devote pilgrims, beggars, clergymen and nobles; it is still covered today not only on foot but also by bicycle by people from all over the world and for many different reasons. It follows off-road trails, narrow roads and footpaths, always in a straight line when possible in order to make the way as short as possible to get to Santiago de Compostela. You will cycle on many different types of pavements and will see very diverse landscape.
This PortugalBike Tour takes us along the Portuguese Way to Santiago de Compostela. We start in Porto (Oporto - known by its famous Port Wine) always along the Portuguese north coast until we get to the border with Spain. Then we continue along the Medieval Way (Caminho Medieval) to Santiago de Compostela, in Spain. Biking the Camino Portugues to Santiago you will cover innumerous paths and trails, ancient Roman roads, dense woods, you will cross small stone bridges, cover footpaths and roads among small houses, cross streams and mountains… Many sections of the original way have been asphalted and civilized, …but it is still the “Camino de Santiago de Compostela” (The Way of St James).
1. Porto: beautiful city famous for its wine, Port wine
2. Feeling the mystic atmosphere along the way
3. Adventure, Art and Mysticism
4. Churches and religious symbols everywhere
5. The way covered by pilgrims since the 9th century.
6. The beautiful towns along the coast
7. The fortified town near the border with Spain
8. The beautiful beaches along the Way
9. The rich gastronomy and the famous wine of the region: vinho verde
10. The Romanic Cathedral in Santiago
THE PRICE INCLUDES (for Self-Guided Tour version):
- 7-day Mountain Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Oporto Airport (or Lisbon airport)
- Accommodations (6 nights): 1 Pousada (one 17th century Fortress), 1 Parador (a former 16th century Palace), 3 four* Historic Hotels (one 16th century Monument Hotel, one 18th century Historic building and one 16th century Manor House), 1 four* modern Hotel. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 3 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
- Pilgrim's Credential
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
Ask us the prices for the Guided Tour version.
If you wish a different date, ask us for prices and availability.
Please contact us for more information. Thank you.