Total tour distance: 125 miles
Daily tour distance: 29 miles
Difficulty: 30 / 100
This unique guided bicycle tour explores the almost forgotten and untouched Algarve interior. This part of Southern Portugal gets 300 days of sunshine a year and offers some of the finest cycling conditions in Europe. You will ride through country lanes dotted with olive, fig, almond and orange groves rooted in stunning red earth, passing countless villages and the occasional Moorish Castle along the way.
In many ways the landscape and the people feel much closer to North Africa than Europe. This warm, sunny bike tour of the Algarve offers on top of great rides the unbeatable Portuguese hospitality, superb food (particularly fresh grilled fish!) beautiful beaches and unique accommodation including converted monasteries and boutique hotels.
- Explore the unknown interior of the ancient Algarve, stronghold of the Lusitanian moors.
- Take a scenic coastal train over the gleaming salt pans and marshes of the Portuguese south.
- Travel along tiny country lanes to old whitewashed villages, along orchards of fragrant orange trees.
- Feast on the freshest catch of the day grilled to perfection and washed down with one of Portugal’s incomparable wines.
- Enjoy some of the Algarve's finest accommodation, far from the madding beach crowds.
- Visit a working cork factory and workshop to find out all about this fascinating natural product.