Total tour distance: 240 miles
Daily tour distance: 40 miles
Difficulty: 50 / 100
Less well known than its "big sister" the Dordogne, the Lot Valley is a cyclists dream which will soon cast its spell upon you. After centuries as a backwater the Lot is becoming fashionable. It is a region seemingly conceived to be explored on a bike.
We specialize in the Dordogne and Lot Valley's of south-west France. We believe that our advantage over tour operators is the fact that we live and operate in the region. We've been operating these tours for very nearly twenty years. Our tours are our passion, we want , and have, our clients coming back for more.
Freedom, flexibility and value for money is what we offer. In addition to our "regular" tours we can also offer customized tours to suit.
This particular tour starts in Gourdon, on the main Paris - Toulouse rail line.
You'll be met at your hotel for your "meet'n'greet", supplied with excellent equipment and have any questions you may have answered.
The following morning you set off for the beautiful village of Belves. Cycle through La France Profonde, marvel at the landscape and enjoy the quiet country roads. Explore Belves.
- The following morning you leave Belves behind heading for Touzac on the banks of the River Lot. Along the way call at the Bastide town of Monpazier before cycling into the Lot et Garonne.
- You have two nights in Touzac with a day ride that takes you to the magnificent Chateau-de-Bonaguil. The chateau resembles something from a fairy tale.
- Cycle through the Lot Valley vineyards, famous for the blood red Cahors wine towards your next stop in Cahors, passing along the way through wonderful towns such as Puy Leveque and Luzech. You have one night in Cahors.
- Leaving Cahors you continue to follow the river valley to the wonderful village of St Cirq Le Popie, clinging to a cliff overhanging the river, appearing to defy gravity.
- You have two nights in St Cirq Le Popie. You have a day ride up the canyon-like Cele Valley. This is a valley without comparison, beautiful landscapes, picturesque villages and the world famous cave art found at Grotte du Pech Merle. You won't want it to end.
- Unfortunately it has to, and its back through a landscape which appears not to have have changed for centuries to Gourdon.
- after your last night in Gourdon it's homeward bound the following morning!
You'll be staying at accommodations hand-picked by us. We've been using the same hotels for years, the hoteliers have become friends. They,like us, want you to experience a vacation that will live in your memory for a long long time.