Whether you’re new to bike touring or just realized your gear isn’t in the best shape, investing in a brand new tent will get you even more motivated to hit the road.
Knowing your tent can withstand whatever the touring gods throw at it will give you the peace of mind you need to focus on how much fun you’re having, rather than dreading any weather changes.
How to choose the right tent for a bike trip
When choosing a tent for a bike trip, it’s important to keep your setup in mind; if you are already packed to the brim, a lightweight tent is a must. If you’re planning on doing shorter treks that require less supplies, you might be able to have the luxury of a slightly heavier and roomier tent.
When shopping for your home away from home, think about comfort, weather protection, and size. The following options fall on different ends of the spectrum in terms of best value, special features, and versatility; they are all great choices for any cyclist looking to live on their bike for a few months or only a few nights.
Carrying your tent: Setting up your bike storage
While setting up your bike for a long distance trip, make sure you set aside space for your tent, even if you haven’t gotten your hands on one yet. If you’re going the classic route; four panniers and front and rear racks, try to fit your tent in one of your panniers. It may take up the entire bag (or most of it), but it’ll be less exposed to the elements as your ride, and will free up rack space.
If your panniers are full, bungee cords are your friend; strap your tent tight to the front or rear rack for easy access. If keeping it on a rack, make sure your tent is sealed in its bag at all times; you don’t want stray raindrops seeping in as you ride. The bag will also protect the fabric of the tent from UV rays, which can break it down over time.
Type of tent – the seasons
While three season tents are your best bet for long trips with unpredictable weather, if you’ll only be touring in summer months, strong waterproofing is what you’ll want to look for. Scroll down to the “Specs” section of any online product for useful information.
Pay attention to each tent’s rain fly set up and read what experienced hikers and cyclists have to say about using the tent in wet weather. A tent footprint is also a necessity; some tents come with their own footprints, but many are sold separately. The footprint will act as a dry barrier between the ground and the bottom of your tent. An ideal weight is generally The best bike touring tents are usually backpacking- specific; whether you’re on foot or on two wheels, how much you carry affects your speed, comfort and spirits.
Our view of the best tents for bicycle tours
Slingfin’s Portal freestanding tent has been racking up awards over the past two years, and its undoubtedly one of the best products on the market. Coming in at three pounds and five ounces packed (1.5 kg), this two person tent’s design is concise, despite its packable size, the tent has features like seven interior mesh pockets and opposite vents to maximize fresh airflow, giving you the best of both worlds.
Setup is quick and easy once you get the hang of it, and the Portal can withstand three, if not four-season weather. The rain fly is another special addition that sets this option apart; the design allows you to set the fly up first, then get the rest of the tent up from inside.
If you have to set up camp in a torrent of pouring rain, this perk allows you to open and put your tent up in a dry space, saving you an uncomfortable and likely chilly night. Long lasting and lauded for its craftsmanship, the Portal is worth the price tag, especially if you expect to continue touring. If you get tired of the saddle, this tent is also great for long hiking trips. The Portal’s matching footprint is sold separately.
By Sea to Summit
Considered ultralight, the Alto TR1 three season tent weighs in at a little over two pounds (0.907 kg). Notable features include sizable vents, a rainfly and apex vent that you can open or close from within the tent, an aluminum Quick Connect Foot pole attachment, and an upward tension pole design that raises the tent ceiling. The aluminum hardware is a nice touch, especially in terms of wear and tear and exposure to the elements.
The Alto is a one person tent for the solo cyclist, fitting nicely into a series of stuff sacks and making for a packable load. The Alto TR1 Plus is another option for those traveling in colder seasons; only slightly more expensive, the Plus has a 3+ Season rating, as opposed to the conventional 3. Both tents come in a two person option if you’re traveling with a partner.
Fly Creek HV UL1 Bikepack
Well known in the long distance cycling community, Big Agnes tents are preferred by a good number of riders for their lightweight and bike packing- specific collections.
The Fly Creek HV UL1’s packed weight is a little over two pounds (1.08. kg). This tent’s subtle but highly useful features cater to the weary cyclists; loops on the tent fly are ideal for drying clothes, while the aluminum Shortstik Poleset is made to fit just about anywhere on the bike, including on your handlebars. This small detail reduces the daily routine of stuffing your tent parts into a compression sack and hoping they all fit. Coined as high volume architecture, the Fly Creek’s pole angling allows you more space to sit up and move around in. With a durable carry sack made with months on the road in mind, this three season option seems like a keeper. Big Agnes footprints are sold separately.
Outpost 2 Tent
By Mountain Hardwear
Mountain Hardwear’s Outpost 2 is another multi-season option for those looking to travel in unpredictable conditions, including cold weather; it’s an alpine specific tent made for mountaineering. It’s a great option for people who are also avid climbers, backpackers, and explorers.
With a packed weight of 5 pounds and 15 ounces, this red and frosty blue two person tent has two entrances and packs easily. An elongated dome shape gives you some room to breathe and there are plenty of pockets for accessories and electronics. A mesh canopy keeps the tent from feeling stuffy, while a sturdy rain fly keeps out the wind and showers. The roomy interior is great for taking a rest day during a long distance tour; at $450 to $600, it also comes in on the higher end of the price scale for a quality tent but will improve countless alpine, backcountry, or off road trips.
Best Value Bicycle Tent:
Elixir 2 Backpacking Tent
Built for backpackers, the Elixir 2 from MSR is a two person tent that weighs a little more, costs a little less and provides more than enough space for you and a touring friend. Ready to conquer three seasons, the Elixir is a great first time purchase thanks to its simple, color coded pole set up and break down.
Extra headroom is an emphasis, setting this tent apart from many others that are described as two person, but barely offer enough space to fit comfortably without being right up against the other person. An added gear loft allows you to store your valuables, and complete polyurethane coating guarantees protection from wet weather. Though this tent comes in at a packed weight of six pounds, almost double than many lightweight options, it’s worth considering if comfort matters to you.
If you are setting out on your first long distance tour and aren’t sure just how challenging it’ll be on your body and mind, having a tent like this will give you something to look forward to at the end of a long, difficult day. Packing your bike up before you leave and including this tent,whether in a pannier or on a rack, can give you an estimate of how its weight will affect your ride. The Elixir does come with an included footprint, bringing your entire purchase to about $250.
When traveling with another person, a heavier tent can often be split into two loads; the poles and fly can be carried separately from the tent body, for example. If you don’t want to store these parts loosely in your panniers, you can purchase stuff sacks separately from any outdoors store.
If you slept through an overnight rainstorm or your tent is soaked with morning dew (which happens more often than you’d expect), make sure to dry it if you have the chance. Set it up empty, and allow it to air out before putting anything else in it.
If your tent doesn’t come with them, having extra stakes, seam glue, and a tent patch kit is a good idea before embarking on tour.
While some of the most popular tents on the market may be sold out, don’t hesitate to pre-order them or get an estimate on when they’ll be back in stock.
Pay attention to your tent’s warranty policy! More often than not, the company you’re purchasing from will have a warranty that allows you to bring or send your tent in for repairs free of charge.
Bestselling Tents for Cycling
Bestseller No. 1 Bike Trailer Tent, Bicycle Camper, Bike Camper, Bike Touring Tent, Bike Camping Tent, Folding Tent cot, Off The Ground, Suitable for Adults, eBike Trailer Tent, and Bike Traveler 2nd Generation
- 【Off the Ground】：This bicycle touring camper will provide a superior sleeping experience. It's raining, no problem. No longer sleep on sleep on the ground, no more cold floors, rugged rocks, or wet ground.
- 【Can be Towed with Bike or Ebike】: The bike trailer camper can be towed with a bike or e-bike and go anywhere your bike can take you.
- 【Total Weight and Loads】: This bicycle camper, with a total weight of 40 lbs, comes with dual wheels and is easy to move around. Suitable people height up to 6 foot 3. The bike camper can carry up to 50 lbs of gears. Carrying gear on the camper can help you better bike maneuvers than carrying gear on the bike frame. Using ratchet straps to secure all of your gears on the camper is recommended.
- 【2nd Generation, Upgraded Size and Height】: Our bike trailer tent has an open size:78"Lx32" Wx53" H (including 12" off-ground space), folding size: 33"Lx32" Wx15" H. Wheel size: dia 18". Tent inside space: 78"Lx32" Wx40" H
- 【Includes】:Folding tent, Rain cover, ground stake, ropes, 2x18 inches wheels, bike connecting rod.
SaleBestseller No. 2 L RUNNZER One Person Tent, Pop Up Mosquito Tent for Outdoor Camping, Backpacking, Hiking, Trekking & Bike-Touring, Ultralight One Person Pop Up Tent, Mesh Tent Camping Tent
- Lightweight Portability - Designed with lightweight portability in mind, our single person tent weighs only 1.8lbs and folds down to a compact size (13") for easy carrying and storage. Measurement 82.7"L*32.3"W*30.3"H, this 1 person tent offers you optimal comfort and freedom of movement.
- Effortless Setup - With our innovative pop-up technology, setting up the cot mosquito net is a breeze! In just seconds, you can unfold as it automatically pops into shape. No complicated assembly, allowing you to spend more time enjoying nature.
- Meticulous Design - The mosquito net tent is constructed with a high-density mesh that provides excellent ventilation while keeping bugs out. The reversible zipper allows for easy entry and exit, ensuring convenience and hassle-free camping enjoyment.
- Upgrade Structure - Reinforced support structure at both ends ensures that your bug net for camping stands strong, even in adverse weather conditions. No more worries about sudden collapses or gusty winds disrupting your serene camping experience.
- Multi-purpose - Whether you're embarking on a solo hike, planning a beach getaway, or lying on the cot, our pop up mosquito tent is the perfect companion. Whether you stake the four corners to the ground or not, it will always be stable.
SaleBestseller No. 3 Night Cat Backpacking Tent for One 1 to 2 Persons Lightweight Waterproof Camping Hiking Tent for Adults Kids Scouts Easy Setup Single Layer 2.2x1.2m
- 【Lightweight & Compact】 The backpacking tent only weighs 2KG(4.4lb) and the package size is quite compact, only 42 x12 x 12cm(16.5 x 4.7 x 4.7inches) thanks to the foldable fiberglass poles. Ideal dome tent for camping,backpacking, hiking, beaching
- 【Easy Setup & Fast Take Down】 Manually setting up this camping tent is easy and fun, and it only takes about 1 minute to assemble. Taking down is also simple and quickly
- 【Waterproof & Windproof】 210D waterproof PED fabric PU 3000, oxford bottom fabric PU 3000, waterproof tape on every seam, to ensure the inside dome tent is completely dry under any rain situation even in the storm. Strong fiber glass poles guarantee the stability and long service life of using. Pegs and guy lines make it stable in a windy day
- 【Roomy for One Person】Very roomy for 1 adult, could fit 1 more kid if needed. Fits well inside with a single person air mattress, or one sleeping bag individually. Extra storage space for accessories like backpack, footwear and other items
- 【Responsible & Prompt Customer Service】Any material or workmanship problem happens, please contact with us first for a satisfied solution
SaleBestseller No. 4 4 Person Tents for Camping, Ayamaya Tunnel Tent Camping with Vestibule 3-4 Person Waterproof, 2 Devided Rooms Bicycle Tent with Footprint for Bikepacking/Motorcycle Travel Hiking Mountaineering
- [2 Room Design] - The two-room tent consists of a detachable bedroom and a vestibule. You can sleep in the bedroom and then store your bicycle, motorcycle, or other camping gear in the vestibule. When the bedroom is removed, it will become a long tunnel sun shelter.
- [Size] - The size of the entire camping tent is 14ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,the sleeping area is 7.4ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,it can accommodate up to 4 people,the vestibule is 6.6ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,the spacious space enlarges your activity area and storage area.
- [2 Doors Vestibule] - The bike tent offers 2 doors in the vestibule to provide excellent ventilation, there are two vents in the front door corner, so you won't feel stuffy even without the door open. The footprint is included in the porch area, you can also spend your leisure time in the vestibule.
- [Waterproof] - The waterproof tent consists of 2 functional layers, the liner is made of B3 mesh and 190T breathable Polyester, the outer tent is made of 210T Rip-stop Polyester, it has passed the waterproof test with a rating above 3000mm, offers high performance in extreme weather conditions.
- [Easy Setup] - The setup of this tunnel tent is easy and fast, insert the 3 shock-absorbing poles into each sleeve, then fix them with tent stakes, the outer tent is set up, then hang on the inner tent, the setup is finished, it could be done within 5minutes by just one person.
SaleBestseller No. 5 StormShield Bike Tent: Waterproof, Portable Storage Solution. Protect Your Bike, Ideal for Urban Commuters & Outdoor Enthusiasts!
- Waterproof: Safeguard your bicycle, e-bike or motorcycle against harsh weather with this high-grade waterproof cover, ensuring your ride remains pristine through seasons.
- Portability & Swift Setup: Enjoy utmost convenience with this compact, lightweight cover. With its intuitive design, setup is a breeze, taking minutes without tools - perfect for those on-the-go.
- Durable Yet Lightweight: With top-tier materials, this cover boasts exceptional durability despite being lightweight, making it a long-lasting yet easy-to-carry essential for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Simple Foldable Design: This product folds into an exceptionally compact form. Perfect for individuals who are constrained by limited storage or seeking an organized and efficient storage solution.
- The Perfect Outdoor Bike Storage Solution: Offer your bicycle, e-bike or motorcycle a protective haven combining waterproofing and durability against rain, snow, and sun.
Bestseller No. 8 Himiway Bike Storage Shed Tent with Double Doors for 2-3 Bikes PU4000 Silver Coated Waterproof Anti-Dust 210D Oxford Fabric Portable Foldable Outdoor Bicycle Cover Shelter Carry Bag for Home Garden
- PREMIUM AND STURDY MATERIAL: Upgrade bike tent made of high-quality 210D Oxford Fabric, three layers of anti-tear material, PU 4000 waterproof coating and added a Silver sunscreen coating to resist ultraviolet. Integrated floor, full zipper design can completely seal the door, convenient for access and provide comprehensive protection against water, dust and insects. All seams are rolled and double stitched with durable thread, which can be firmly supported in any bad weather.
- HUMANIZED STRUCTURE DESIGN: The bike tent has double zippered doors. The full zipper on the door can completely seal the door and provide comprehensive protection. Strong and durable materials and structure can perfectly prevent damage from weather, dust, dirt and sun. It is more convenient to put 2-3 bikes in the tent and convenient for ventilation.
- EXTRA LARGE STORAGE SPACE: Bike storage tent size: 79in×32in×65in, Large space that can accommodate 2-3 bikes or 1-2 Fat tire ebikes. As an outdoor storage tent, it can also store long-handled garden tools, furniture mats, bicycles, lawn mowers, coolers, swimming pool toys and other items. You can also use it as a campsite or any other purpose you want.
- EASY TO SET UP & STRONG STABILITY: You can assemble it and disassemble it within 10 minutes without any tools. Just straighten the 7.9mm glass rod bracket and insert it into the gap reserved in the tent, bend the frame into an arch with a little force and use a shorter frame to open the width to use. Equipped with four ground nails, the storage tent can be well fixed and be used even in bad weather.
- COMPACT SIZE & EASY TO CARRY: Our bicycle storage shed tent can be foldable. A bag with a handle is attached, which is easy to transport and store when not in use. When folded, a single package is only 50.5 * 17 * 17 cm (19.8 * 6.7 * 6.7inch), very convenient to transport and store when not in use.
Bestseller No. 9 Wolf Walker Motorcycle Tent for Camping 2-3 Person Waterproof Instant Tents with Integrated Motorcycle Port for Outdoor Hiking, Backpacking, Picnic Fast Pitch
- 🏍️Bike port camping tent with spacious design stores a full-sized motorcycle with room for 2-3 people to sleep comfortably；Includes a separate, secure enclosure attached to the inner tent for storing your bike and gear.
- ☀️Convenient access thanks to 4 different entryways from the tent and bike port; mesh panel provides privacy and protects against bugs.
- 🏕️4 Season tent with waterproof rainfly for cover and protection from heavy rain and strong wind; waterproof floor keeps campers dry through the night.
- 🎵The size of the tent is 187.2inch x 98.4inch x 72.8inch. It can easily accommodate 2-3 adults. The folded size is only 24"L X 11"W X 6"H, Only weighs 14.85 pounds.
- 👍Tent includes 3 finest aircraft grade aluminum poles with stakes and storage bag for quick and easy setup; Multifunctional tent packs up easily into motorcycle bag or carrier.WOLF WALKER always put customer experience first. We guarantee a 100% refund or replace for any quality problem of the product.
Bestseller No. 10 Relaxing Rocky Beaches
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Mark Knight (Director) - Jim Wilmer (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)