Whether you’re new to bike touring or just realized your gear isn’t in the best shape, investing in a brand new tent will get you even more motivated to hit the road.
Knowing your tent can withstand whatever the touring gods throw at it will give you the peace of mind you need to focus on how much fun you’re having, rather than dreading any weather changes.
How to choose the right tent for a bike trip
When choosing a tent for a bike trip, it’s important to keep your setup in mind; if you are already packed to the brim, a lightweight tent is a must. If you’re planning on doing shorter treks that require less supplies, you might be able to have the luxury of a slightly heavier and roomier tent.
When shopping for your home away from home, think about comfort, weather protection, and size. The following options fall on different ends of the spectrum in terms of best value, special features, and versatility; they are all great choices for any cyclist looking to live on their bike for a few months or only a few nights.
Carrying your tent: Setting up your bike storage
While setting up your bike for a long distance trip, make sure you set aside space for your tent, even if you haven’t gotten your hands on one yet. If you’re going the classic route; four panniers and front and rear racks, try to fit your tent in one of your panniers. It may take up the entire bag (or most of it), but it’ll be less exposed to the elements as your ride, and will free up rack space.
If your panniers are full, bungee cords are your friend; strap your tent tight to the front or rear rack for easy access. If keeping it on a rack, make sure your tent is sealed in its bag at all times; you don’t want stray raindrops seeping in as you ride. The bag will also protect the fabric of the tent from UV rays, which can break it down over time.
Type of tent – the seasons
While three season tents are your best bet for long trips with unpredictable weather, if you’ll only be touring in summer months, strong waterproofing is what you’ll want to look for. Scroll down to the “Specs” section of any online product for useful information.
Pay attention to each tent’s rain fly set up and read what experienced hikers and cyclists have to say about using the tent in wet weather. A tent footprint is also a necessity; some tents come with their own footprints, but many are sold separately. The footprint will act as a dry barrier between the ground and the bottom of your tent. An ideal weight is generally The best bike touring tents are usually backpacking- specific; whether you’re on foot or on two wheels, how much you carry affects your speed, comfort and spirits.
Our view of the best tents for bicycle tours
Slingfin’s Portal freestanding tent has been racking up awards over the past two years, and its undoubtedly one of the best products on the market. Coming in at three pounds and five ounces packed (1.5 kg), this two person tent’s design is concise, despite its packable size, the tent has features like seven interior mesh pockets and opposite vents to maximize fresh airflow, giving you the best of both worlds.
Setup is quick and easy once you get the hang of it, and the Portal can withstand three, if not four-season weather. The rain fly is another special addition that sets this option apart; the design allows you to set the fly up first, then get the rest of the tent up from inside.
If you have to set up camp in a torrent of pouring rain, this perk allows you to open and put your tent up in a dry space, saving you an uncomfortable and likely chilly night. Long lasting and lauded for its craftsmanship, the Portal is worth the price tag, especially if you expect to continue touring. If you get tired of the saddle, this tent is also great for long hiking trips. The Portal’s matching footprint is sold separately.
By Sea to Summit
Considered ultralight, the Alto TR1 three season tent weighs in at a little over two pounds (0.907 kg). Notable features include sizable vents, a rainfly and apex vent that you can open or close from within the tent, an aluminum Quick Connect Foot pole attachment, and an upward tension pole design that raises the tent ceiling. The aluminum hardware is a nice touch, especially in terms of wear and tear and exposure to the elements.
The Alto is a one person tent for the solo cyclist, fitting nicely into a series of stuff sacks and making for a packable load. The Alto TR1 Plus is another option for those traveling in colder seasons; only slightly more expensive, the Plus has a 3+ Season rating, as opposed to the conventional 3. Both tents come in a two person option if you’re traveling with a partner.
Fly Creek HV UL1 Bikepack
Well known in the long distance cycling community, Big Agnes tents are preferred by a good number of riders for their lightweight and bike packing- specific collections.
The Fly Creek HV UL1’s packed weight is a little over two pounds (1.08. kg). This tent’s subtle but highly useful features cater to the weary cyclists; loops on the tent fly are ideal for drying clothes, while the aluminum Shortstik Poleset is made to fit just about anywhere on the bike, including on your handlebars. This small detail reduces the daily routine of stuffing your tent parts into a compression sack and hoping they all fit. Coined as high volume architecture, the Fly Creek’s pole angling allows you more space to sit up and move around in. With a durable carry sack made with months on the road in mind, this three season option seems like a keeper. Big Agnes footprints are sold separately.
Outpost 2 Tent
By Mountain Hardwear
Mountain Hardwear’s Outpost 2 is another multi-season option for those looking to travel in unpredictable conditions, including cold weather; it’s an alpine specific tent made for mountaineering. It’s a great option for people who are also avid climbers, backpackers, and explorers.
With a packed weight of 5 pounds and 15 ounces, this red and frosty blue two person tent has two entrances and packs easily. An elongated dome shape gives you some room to breathe and there are plenty of pockets for accessories and electronics. A mesh canopy keeps the tent from feeling stuffy, while a sturdy rain fly keeps out the wind and showers. The roomy interior is great for taking a rest day during a long distance tour; at $450 to $600, it also comes in on the higher end of the price scale for a quality tent but will improve countless alpine, backcountry, or off road trips.
Best Value Bicycle Tent:
Elixir 2 Backpacking Tent
Built for backpackers, the Elixir 2 from MSR is a two person tent that weighs a little more, costs a little less and provides more than enough space for you and a touring friend. Ready to conquer three seasons, the Elixir is a great first time purchase thanks to its simple, color coded pole set up and break down.
Extra headroom is an emphasis, setting this tent apart from many others that are described as two person, but barely offer enough space to fit comfortably without being right up against the other person. An added gear loft allows you to store your valuables, and complete polyurethane coating guarantees protection from wet weather. Though this tent comes in at a packed weight of six pounds, almost double than many lightweight options, it’s worth considering if comfort matters to you.
If you are setting out on your first long distance tour and aren’t sure just how challenging it’ll be on your body and mind, having a tent like this will give you something to look forward to at the end of a long, difficult day. Packing your bike up before you leave and including this tent,whether in a pannier or on a rack, can give you an estimate of how its weight will affect your ride. The Elixir does come with an included footprint, bringing your entire purchase to about $250.
When traveling with another person, a heavier tent can often be split into two loads; the poles and fly can be carried separately from the tent body, for example. If you don’t want to store these parts loosely in your panniers, you can purchase stuff sacks separately from any outdoors store.
If you slept through an overnight rainstorm or your tent is soaked with morning dew (which happens more often than you’d expect), make sure to dry it if you have the chance. Set it up empty, and allow it to air out before putting anything else in it.
If your tent doesn’t come with them, having extra stakes, seam glue, and a tent patch kit is a good idea before embarking on tour.
While some of the most popular tents on the market may be sold out, don’t hesitate to pre-order them or get an estimate on when they’ll be back in stock.
Pay attention to your tent’s warranty policy! More often than not, the company you’re purchasing from will have a warranty that allows you to bring or send your tent in for repairs free of charge.
Bestselling Tents for Cycling
Bestseller No. 1
Bike Trailer Tent, Bicycle Camper, Bike Camper, Bike Touring Tent, Bike Camping Tent, Folding Tent cot, Off The Ground, Suitable for Adults, eBike Trailer Tent, and Bike Traveler
- Off the ground: Raining, no problem, No longer sleep on sleep on the ground, no more cold floor, hard rock or wet ground. This bike camper will provide your with superior sleeping experience.
- Can be towed with Bike or Ebike : The bike camper can be towed with bike or ebike, and go anywhere your bike can take you.
- Fast folding: The bike camper be be set up in 2 mins, no more time comsuming set up as the conventional tent.
- Loads: The bike camper can also carry up to 50 lbs of gears. Carry gears on the camper can let you have better bike maneuverbility, compare to carry gears on the bike frame. It's recommeded to use rachet straps to secure all of your gears on the camper.
- size: Tent Open size:78"Lx32"Wx35"H (included 12" off ground space) folding size: 33"Lx32"Wx15"H (include 12" off ground space) wheel size: dia 16" Tent inside space: 78"Lx32"Wx23"H
SaleBestseller No. 2
Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Outdoor Tent , Brown
- Cabin-like 10-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Hinged front door for easy entry and room divider for extra privacy
- Sets up easily in 20 minutes
- Measures 17 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height
Bestseller No. 3
GEERTOP 2 Person Camping Tent Lightweight 4 Season Waterproof Double Layer All Weather Outdoor Survival Gear for Backpacking Hiking Travel - Easy Set Up
- 【Backpack Tent for 2 Person】GEERTOP backpacking tent is spacious enough to accommodate up to two people, perfect for couples or single person backpack outdoor travel; Inner tent with the dimension of Inner layer: 78(L) x 55(W) x 41(H) inches; and easily add 2 small vestibules of 24 inches wide when straighten out the tent flysheet, extra space for putting camping gear
- 【Waterproof Tent for 4 Season】Double layer tent for camping - tent flysheet with snow skirt used the rugged 210T anti-tear checkered polyester with high-tech seam taped, up to PU3000mm waterproof level ; Inner tent with mesh offers great ventilation in summer hot weather, great for outdoor travel all year round
- 【 Simple & Easy to Use】Free-standing 2 aluminum poles design for a lightweight hiking tent, light but sturdy enough, allowing you quickly and easily to assemble or take down; Great for camping beginner or even a child can set up the tent with double wall in 5-8 minutes
- 【Breathable & Compact】Tents for camping 2 person has two D-shaped double doors with mesh and dual zippers, which provide much better ventilation; Equipped with aluminum stakes and reflective guy lines more stable, to get a high resistance of wind
- 【Lightweight Backpacking Tent】Ultralight 2 person tent less than 7 pounds, easily pack it in a compact carrying size - 17 x 7 x 7 inches; light enough for bike and canoe camping and short backpacking trips, be great for solo or couple trips, and primitive sights; You can use it on the open beach, or in the shaded woods, free standing, so no worries if pitching in sand, grass or in your living room
Bestseller No. 4
Outdoor Bike Storage Shed Tent Waterproof - Portable Bicycle Shelter Bike Tent for 1 or 2 Bikes with Bike Tent Bag
- 🚲BIKE TENT WATERPROOF OUTDOOR: The bike shed is made of 210D weatherproof, UV-resistant silver-plated Oxford cloth. Providing a full range of waterproof, dustproof protection for your items in the tent all year round.
- 🚲MULTI-PURPOSE USE: The storage shed not only stores two adult bicycles, small tricycles, motorcycles but also stores long-handled garden tools, furniture cushions, bicycles, lawnmowers, coolers, swimming pool toys, etc.
- 🚲SPACE-SAVING: Size: 78.7 x 31.5 x 65 inches. Window designed for ventilation on a clear day. Small storage pocket designed for your bicycle lock or other small things. It's also a great gift for cycling enthusiasts.
- 🚲QUICK INSTALLATION & DISASSEMBLY: Very easy to install, only 10 minutes, without any tools, you can quickly install it alone. With 4 windproof nails, it can be used to fix the tent. The bike shed is foldable and comes with a storage bag. You can carry it everywhere.
- ❤AFTER-SALES SERVICE: We support 30-days worry-free refunds. If you have any dissatisfactions with this bike tent, please contact us via email and we will try our best to offer a satisfactory solution for you within 24 hours.
Bestseller No. 7
ROCKBROS Bikepacking Bike Handlebar Bag Waterproof 7L-14L Large Dry Pack Bicycle Front Bag Roll for MTB Mountain Road Drop-bar Bikes Bar
- EXTREMELY STURDY 5 FIXED POINTS: Large magic straps and eight spacers, 2 nylon straps with side release buckles to secure bag to the handle bars. A short strap is attached bag to the head tube to avoid shaking back and forth. What's more, four alloy hooks for adjusting the compression straps to protect your bike frame and brake shift cables
- ADUSTABLE LENGTH WITH TWO OPENINGS: 7-14L adjustable capacity bike handlebar roll perfectly satisfy your bikepacking adventures or long travels need. Good size to fit 3person tent, sleeping bag and clothing which need keep dry. Convenient Feature: roll down closure design at each end makes easier to find what you need. Also, You can attach more gear or even a tent using the two exterior straps
- 100% WATERPROOF: High strength tear resistant 600D nylon + waterproof TPU film with ROCKBROS Innovative seamless workmanship makes this bicycle front bag 100% waterproof and easy to clean with a wet terry
- DETAIL DESIGNS: Three Reflective Logos to increase your riding safety at night; Strap storage loop is good to avoid straps being caught in bicycle tires.External Elastics cords for attaching some wet raincoats or coat, also fit photography tripod
- MULTI-APPLICATIONS: Durable bike handlebar bag protects your things from harsh weather conditions or crashes.Suitable for variety Outdoors Activities like cycling, traveling, camping , mountaineering and more.PRODUCT WARRANTY: Any questions please feel free to contact us
SaleBestseller No. 8
L RUNNZER Pop-Up Single Mosquito Tent, Mosquito Camping Net for Sleeping Outdoor Camping Traveling
- POP UP WITHIN SECONDS- Just take off the elastic strap and the pop up net will automatically set up within seconds instantly. Also the mosquito tent is easy to be packed. No need to assemble!
- PORTABLE AND FOLDABLE - The portable bed net is folded into a small bag which is only 13 inch diameter, 1.18 inch thick. The weight of this pop up screen tent is only 1.9 LB. Fully unfolded size: 82.6x41.3x (19.7-27.6) in. Large enough for you and your friends!
- UPDATED DESIGN- The mosquito camping netting is designed with a high support net over head, which enable you to enjoy wonderful scenery and relax yourself. The five corners of the pop up tents for camping can be fixed to the ground with stakes to ensure stability.
- USE WHEREVER YOU LIKE - The cot tent is the perfect solution to camping (But please note you should tie it to keep shape if use on cot). You can put it on beaches, forests, park or lawns. When you travels, put the screen tent on the car's roof or lawns to enjoy the beauty of nature. With our nets, you will have a wonderful life.
- DURABLE MATERIAL - Our pop up mosquito tents for camping is made of 100% Polyester which is widely used nowadays. It is tear-resistant, and stain-resistant, and durable. We strive to make our customers satisfied. Please contact us if you have any problem about the outdoor tent!
SaleBestseller No. 9
Camping Tents for 3-4 Person,AYAMAYA Waterproof Motorcycle Tent 2 Room Design - Detachable Bedroom & Vestibule with Footprint, Easy Setup for Backpacking Bikepacking Survival Hiking Mountaineering
- [2 Room Design] - The two-room tent consists of a detachable bedroom and a vestibule. You can sleep in the bedroom and then store your bicycle, motorcycle, or other camping gear in the vestibule. When the bedroom is removed, it will become a long tunnel sun shelter.
- [Size] - The size of the entire camping tent is 14ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,the sleeping area is 7.4ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,it can accommodate up to 4 people,the vestibule is 6.6ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,the spacious space enlarges your activity area and storage area.
- [2 Doors Vestibule] - The bike tent offers 2 doors in the vestibule to provide excellent ventilation, there are two vents in the front door corner, so you won't feel stuffy even without the door open. The footprint is included in the porch area, you can also spend your leisure time in the vestibule.
- [Waterproof] - The waterproof tent consists of 2 functional layers, the liner is made of B3 mesh and 190T breathable Polyester, the outer tent is made of 210T Rip-stop Polyester, it has passed the waterproof test with a rating above 3000mm, offers high performance in extreme weather conditions.
- [Easy Setup] - The setup of this tunnel tent is easy and fast, insert the 3 shock-absorbing poles into each sleeve, then fix them with tent stakes, the outer tent is set up, then hang on the inner tent, the setup is finished, it could be done within 5minutes by just one person.
SaleBestseller No. 10
Stansport Scout Backpack Tent - Forest (713-84-B)
- Three-season, two-person A-frame tent sets up quickly with two sturdy yet lightweight aluminum poles
- No-see-um mesh door screens and 8,000-millimeter-rated, polyurethane-coated nylon upper, and rugged polyethylene floor
- Proven A-frame design sheds rain and wind while still being lightweight, compact and easy to assemble
- Measures 6’6” x 4’6” x 3’ (L x W x H), with 29 square feet of floor space
- Weight: 3.8-pounds - Includes: 2 steel poles, ropes, stakes and carry bag - Meets CPAI-84 flame retardant specifications