Whether you’re new to bike touring or just realized your gear isn’t in the best shape, investing in a brand new tent will get you even more motivated to hit the road.
Knowing your tent can withstand whatever the touring gods throw at it will give you the peace of mind you need to focus on how much fun you’re having, rather than dreading any weather changes.
How to choose the right tent for a bike trip
When choosing a tent for a bike trip, it’s important to keep your setup in mind; if you are already packed to the brim, a lightweight tent is a must. If you’re planning on doing shorter treks that require less supplies, you might be able to have the luxury of a slightly heavier and roomier tent.
When shopping for your home away from home, think about comfort, weather protection, and size. The following options fall on different ends of the spectrum in terms of best value, special features, and versatility; they are all great choices for any cyclist looking to live on their bike for a few months or only a few nights.
Carrying your tent: Setting up your bike storage
While setting up your bike for a long distance trip, make sure you set aside space for your tent, even if you haven’t gotten your hands on one yet. If you’re going the classic route; four panniers and front and rear racks, try to fit your tent in one of your panniers. It may take up the entire bag (or most of it), but it’ll be less exposed to the elements as your ride, and will free up rack space.
If your panniers are full, bungee cords are your friend; strap your tent tight to the front or rear rack for easy access. If keeping it on a rack, make sure your tent is sealed in its bag at all times; you don’t want stray raindrops seeping in as you ride. The bag will also protect the fabric of the tent from UV rays, which can break it down over time.
Type of tent – the seasons
While three season tents are your best bet for long trips with unpredictable weather, if you’ll only be touring in summer months, strong waterproofing is what you’ll want to look for. Scroll down to the “Specs” section of any online product for useful information.
Pay attention to each tent’s rain fly set up and read what experienced hikers and cyclists have to say about using the tent in wet weather. A tent footprint is also a necessity; some tents come with their own footprints, but many are sold separately. The footprint will act as a dry barrier between the ground and the bottom of your tent. An ideal weight is generally The best bike touring tents are usually backpacking- specific; whether you’re on foot or on two wheels, how much you carry affects your speed, comfort and spirits.
Our view of the best tents for bicycle tours
Slingfin’s Portal freestanding tent has been racking up awards over the past two years, and its undoubtedly one of the best products on the market. Coming in at three pounds and five ounces packed (1.5 kg), this two person tent’s design is concise, despite its packable size, the tent has features like seven interior mesh pockets and opposite vents to maximize fresh airflow, giving you the best of both worlds.
Setup is quick and easy once you get the hang of it, and the Portal can withstand three, if not four-season weather. The rain fly is another special addition that sets this option apart; the design allows you to set the fly up first, then get the rest of the tent up from inside.
If you have to set up camp in a torrent of pouring rain, this perk allows you to open and put your tent up in a dry space, saving you an uncomfortable and likely chilly night. Long lasting and lauded for its craftsmanship, the Portal is worth the price tag, especially if you expect to continue touring. If you get tired of the saddle, this tent is also great for long hiking trips. The Portal’s matching footprint is sold separately.
By Sea to Summit
Considered ultralight, the Alto TR1 three season tent weighs in at a little over two pounds (0.907 kg). Notable features include sizable vents, a rainfly and apex vent that you can open or close from within the tent, an aluminum Quick Connect Foot pole attachment, and an upward tension pole design that raises the tent ceiling. The aluminum hardware is a nice touch, especially in terms of wear and tear and exposure to the elements.
The Alto is a one person tent for the solo cyclist, fitting nicely into a series of stuff sacks and making for a packable load. The Alto TR1 Plus is another option for those traveling in colder seasons; only slightly more expensive, the Plus has a 3+ Season rating, as opposed to the conventional 3. Both tents come in a two person option if you’re traveling with a partner.
Fly Creek HV UL1 Bikepack
Well known in the long distance cycling community, Big Agnes tents are preferred by a good number of riders for their lightweight and bike packing- specific collections.
The Fly Creek HV UL1’s packed weight is a little over two pounds (1.08. kg). This tent’s subtle but highly useful features cater to the weary cyclists; loops on the tent fly are ideal for drying clothes, while the aluminum Shortstik Poleset is made to fit just about anywhere on the bike, including on your handlebars. This small detail reduces the daily routine of stuffing your tent parts into a compression sack and hoping they all fit. Coined as high volume architecture, the Fly Creek’s pole angling allows you more space to sit up and move around in. With a durable carry sack made with months on the road in mind, this three season option seems like a keeper. Big Agnes footprints are sold separately.
Outpost 2 Tent
By Mountain Hardwear
Mountain Hardwear’s Outpost 2 is another multi-season option for those looking to travel in unpredictable conditions, including cold weather; it’s an alpine specific tent made for mountaineering. It’s a great option for people who are also avid climbers, backpackers, and explorers.
With a packed weight of 5 pounds and 15 ounces, this red and frosty blue two person tent has two entrances and packs easily. An elongated dome shape gives you some room to breathe and there are plenty of pockets for accessories and electronics. A mesh canopy keeps the tent from feeling stuffy, while a sturdy rain fly keeps out the wind and showers. The roomy interior is great for taking a rest day during a long distance tour; at $450 to $600, it also comes in on the higher end of the price scale for a quality tent but will improve countless alpine, backcountry, or off road trips.
Best Value Bicycle Tent:
Elixir 2 Backpacking Tent
Built for backpackers, the Elixir 2 from MSR is a two person tent that weighs a little more, costs a little less and provides more than enough space for you and a touring friend. Ready to conquer three seasons, the Elixir is a great first time purchase thanks to its simple, color coded pole set up and break down.
Extra headroom is an emphasis, setting this tent apart from many others that are described as two person, but barely offer enough space to fit comfortably without being right up against the other person. An added gear loft allows you to store your valuables, and complete polyurethane coating guarantees protection from wet weather. Though this tent comes in at a packed weight of six pounds, almost double than many lightweight options, it’s worth considering if comfort matters to you.
If you are setting out on your first long distance tour and aren’t sure just how challenging it’ll be on your body and mind, having a tent like this will give you something to look forward to at the end of a long, difficult day. Packing your bike up before you leave and including this tent,whether in a pannier or on a rack, can give you an estimate of how its weight will affect your ride. The Elixir does come with an included footprint, bringing your entire purchase to about $250.
When traveling with another person, a heavier tent can often be split into two loads; the poles and fly can be carried separately from the tent body, for example. If you don’t want to store these parts loosely in your panniers, you can purchase stuff sacks separately from any outdoors store.
If you slept through an overnight rainstorm or your tent is soaked with morning dew (which happens more often than you’d expect), make sure to dry it if you have the chance. Set it up empty, and allow it to air out before putting anything else in it.
If your tent doesn’t come with them, having extra stakes, seam glue, and a tent patch kit is a good idea before embarking on tour.
While some of the most popular tents on the market may be sold out, don’t hesitate to pre-order them or get an estimate on when they’ll be back in stock.
Pay attention to your tent’s warranty policy! More often than not, the company you’re purchasing from will have a warranty that allows you to bring or send your tent in for repairs free of charge.
Bestselling Tents for Cycling
Bestseller No. 1 Bike Trailer Tent, Bicycle Camper, Bike Camper, Bike Touring Tent, Bike Camping Tent, Folding Tent cot, Off The Ground, Suitable for Adults, eBike Trailer Tent, and Bike Traveler
- Off the ground: Raining, no problem, No longer sleep on sleep on the ground, no more cold floor, hard rock or wet ground. This bike camper will provide your with superior sleeping experience.
- Can be towed with Bike or Ebike : The bike camper can be towed with bike or ebike, and go anywhere your bike can take you.
- Fast folding: The bike camper be be set up in 2 mins, no more time comsuming set up as the conventional tent.
- Loads: The bike camper can also carry up to 50 lbs of gears. Carry gears on the camper can let you have better bike maneuverbility, compare to carry gears on the bike frame. It's recommeded to use rachet straps to secure all of your gears on the camper.
- size: Tent Open size:78"Lx32"Wx35"H (included 12" off ground space) folding size: 33"Lx32"Wx15"H (include 12" off ground space) wheel size: dia 16" Tent inside space: 78"Lx32"Wx23"H
SaleBestseller No. 2 camppal 1 Person Tent for Camping Hiking Mountain Hunting Backpacking Tents 4 Season Resistance to Windproof Rainproof and Waterproof
- [Professional 1 Person Tent]: Size: Inner tent(L8.2ft x W2.95ft x H2.95ft), Outer tent: L8.2ft x W(2.95ft +1.31ft) x H3.11ft, 3500~4000mm Water Resistance. Fire Retardant Standard/CPAI-84. This 1 person camping tent is very light, just 3.75lb, easy to carry on when you camp outside, besides, it's also very easy to set up with only one single ridge pole.
- [Waterproof and Stable]: Outer tent with the water proofing value of 3500mm, seam taping on the zipper, velcro wrap with PVC & seam taping, 4 bottom corner with seam taping, which are high and good enough to prevent the water from entering even under the big heavy rain; Strong aluminium pole construction and the anti tearing rip-stop fabric which greatly help to prevent the hitting and tearing on fabric from the strong wind under the bad weather with big storm.
- [Extended Length - 8.2ft]: This single person tent is long enough to enable the taller person to sleep in the tent comfortably; The longer tent also provides with extra space for the personal belongings like luggage, backpack, clothes, shoes, etc.
- [3 Minute Quick Setup]: Super easy to set it up! It takes only just 3 minutes to pitch tent even for a beginner, and we have specially made the longer and bigger carry bag for the end customer even to pack up the tent loosely and still could put it back into the carry bag easily and conveniently.
- [No-Risk Purchase]: Camppal offer unconditional 30-day money back guarantee and limited lifetime warranty to make it an absolutely risk-free purchase. If you have any question about the tent, Pls just email us, 24/7 customer service will be offered and a satisfied solution will be provided less than 12 hrs.
SaleBestseller No. 3 4 Person Tents for Camping, Ayamaya Tunnel Tent Camping with Vestibule 3-4 Person Waterproof, 2 Devided Rooms Bicycle Tent with Footprint for Bikepacking/Motorcycle Travel Hiking Mountaineering
- [2 Room Design] - The two-room tent consists of a detachable bedroom and a vestibule. You can sleep in the bedroom and then store your bicycle, motorcycle, or other camping gear in the vestibule. When the bedroom is removed, it will become a long tunnel sun shelter.
- [Size] - The size of the entire camping tent is 14ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,the sleeping area is 7.4ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,it can accommodate up to 4 people,the vestibule is 6.6ft x 6.6ft x 4.3ft,the spacious space enlarges your activity area and storage area.
- [2 Doors Vestibule] - The bike tent offers 2 doors in the vestibule to provide excellent ventilation, there are two vents in the front door corner, so you won't feel stuffy even without the door open. The footprint is included in the porch area, you can also spend your leisure time in the vestibule.
- [Waterproof] - The waterproof tent consists of 2 functional layers, the liner is made of B3 mesh and 190T breathable Polyester, the outer tent is made of 210T Rip-stop Polyester, it has passed the waterproof test with a rating above 3000mm, offers high performance in extreme weather conditions.
- [Easy Setup] - The setup of this tunnel tent is easy and fast, insert the 3 shock-absorbing poles into each sleeve, then fix them with tent stakes, the outer tent is set up, then hang on the inner tent, the setup is finished, it could be done within 5minutes by just one person.
Bestseller No. 5 Himiway Bike Storage Shed Tent with Double Doors for 2-3 Bikes PU4000 Silver Coated Waterproof Anti-Dust 210D Oxford Fabric Portable Foldable Outdoor Bicycle Cover Shelter Carry Bag for Home Garden
- PREMIUM AND STURDY MATERIAL: Upgrade bike tent made of high-quality 210D Oxford Fabric, three layers of anti-tear material, PU 4000 waterproof coating and added a Silver sunscreen coating to resist ultraviolet. Integrated floor, full zipper design can completely seal the door, convenient for access and provide comprehensive protection against water, dust and insects. All seams are rolled and double stitched with durable thread, which can be firmly supported in any bad weather.
- HUMANIZED STRUCTURE DESIGN: The bike tent has double zippered doors. The full zipper on the door can completely seal the door and provide comprehensive protection. Strong and durable materials and structure can perfectly prevent damage from weather, dust, dirt and sun. It is more convenient to put 2-3 bikes in the tent and convenient for ventilation.
- EXTRA LARGE STORAGE SPACE: Bike storage tent size: 79in×32in×65in, Large space that can accommodate 2-3 bikes or 1-2 Fat tire ebikes. As an outdoor storage tent, it can also store long-handled garden tools, furniture mats, bicycles, lawn mowers, coolers, swimming pool toys and other items. You can also use it as a campsite or any other purpose you want.
- EASY TO SET UP & STRONG STABILITY: You can assemble it and disassemble it within 10 minutes without any tools. Just straighten the 7.9mm glass rod bracket and insert it into the gap reserved in the tent, bend the frame into an arch with a little force and use a shorter frame to open the width to use. Equipped with four ground nails, the storage tent can be well fixed and be used even in bad weather.
- COMPACT SIZE & EASY TO CARRY: Our bicycle storage shed tent can be foldable. A bag with a handle is attached, which is easy to transport and store when not in use. When folded, a single package is only 50.5 * 17 * 17 cm (19.8 * 6.7 * 6.7inch), very convenient to transport and store when not in use.
Bestseller No. 6 Outdoor Bike Tent, Green Bike Storage Tent for 3-4 Bikes, Waterproof Storage Tent with Window and Carry Bag
- Premium Material: The outdoor storage tent is made from 210D Oxford cloth, which is stronger and more durable than the general 190T polyester material. It provides 4000 mm water resistance and excellent UV resistance, which allows you to use our tent well in moderate rain and outdoor. Choose Pero Auzro outdoor bike tent, to protect your bicycles from sunlight, rain, and dust.
- Easy to Set up & Strong stability: You can assemble it and disassemble it within 5 minutes without any tools. Equipped with four ground nails, the storage tent can be well fixed and be used even in bad weather. The included accessories are fold-able and carried in the carry bag, which is a must for bicycle travel or daily use.
- Powerful Function: The storage tent is closed completely after being zipped, and there is a window with a side length of 11.5 inches inside, which is more practical and convenient for ventilation. Besides, there is a small pocket in the tent that can be used to store tools. The silver-coated material disperses ultraviolet rays to prevent equipment aging. This prolongs its service life.
- Large Storage Space: Bike storage tent size: 78.8 in×31.5 in×65 in, Large space that can accommodate 2-3 bicycles. The outdoor bike tent can be a storage container and a camping tent. It can also be storage for repairing tools, swimming pool supplies, gardening tools, toys, small furniture, sports equipment, etc.
- Great Customer Service: The bicycle storage shed can be used outdoors and indoors. It is light and very portable. It is suitable for camping, hiking, home use, etc. If you have any questions, you can contact us via Amazon email, and we will help you solve the problem as soon as possible. The product supports a one-year free warrant.
SaleBestseller No. 7 MULISOFT 30L Foldable Hiking Backpack, Lightwight Camping Backpack For Men & Women, Water-resistant Travel Daypack, Multifunctional Black Backpack For Cycling Outdoor Sports
- 【Foldable and Easy to Store】Our hiking backpack is cleverly designed to be foldable and can be easily folded into a small package, just like a fist, making it easy to carry and store in your pocket when not in use. When you need to use it, it can unfold into a spacious and comfortable camping backpack that can accommodate all your belongings. Its design is like a magic box, bringing you unlimited convenience and making your travel and life more convenient.
- 【Lightweight like a Feather】 This lightweight backpack is as light as a feather, floating in the air without any weight. Whether you are hiking, camping or going to the beach, you can hardly feel any weight on your back. Using this packable backpack instead of other backpacks can free you from the burden of heavy daypacks, making your travel easier and more comfortable.
- 【Large Capacity, Ample Storage Space】 The unfolded size of this backpack is 31x18x51cm, while the folded size is like a sandwich. It has 28 liters of storage space, helping you easily organize all your essentials. The main compartment can hold clothes, magazines, cameras, and snacks; the inner partition can hold computers, power banks, and files; the two side pockets can hold water bottles, folding umbrellas or sunglasses, carrying lightweight items while keeping your belongings in order.
- 【Durable, Waterproof, Tear-Resistant】 The material of this water-resistant backpack is made of high-density waterproof nylon fabric, which can protect your items from being wet even in rainy days or accidental splashing. It also has excellent tear resistance, effectively preventing scratches from rocks or tree branches, and it will not easily be damaged. In addition, the SBS anti-theft zipper can effectively prevent thieves from opening the backpack or suitcase, bringing you more security.
- 【Versatile to Meet Various Needs】 This travel hiking backpack is suitable for a wide range of scenarios: when you travel, hike, engage in outdoor activities, day hike, ride a bike, camp, it can easily hold some of your essentials and daily necessities, such as clothes, sports shoes, food, water bottles, umbrellas, etc. When you are working, shopping or doing other daily activities, it can also easily hold your books, wallets, laptops, cosmetics, etc.
Bestseller No. 10 Large Bike Cover Storage Shed Tent,Portable Bicycle Motorcycle Tent Waterproof Portable Garden Storage Cover Heavy Duty Side Opening Tricycle Motorcycle Storage Tent for Outdoor Camping Hiking (Black)
- 【Large space】The new size is 87in x 62in x 66in, we have expanded the capacity and the storage space is twice that of the old model, which is enough to meet the needs of daily use and hold more things.It can store 3-4 bicycles. Double-door design, a new side door design is added on the basis of the old model, so that parking is more convenient.
- 【Protective Bike Shed】Protects bicycles from the elements, wild animals, rain and sun debris. No need to worry about parts getting corroded by ware caused by the weather. Full zippers on the door to completely seal the door and provide full protection against weather, dust, dirt and sun damage.
- 【Sturdy material】The bicycle shed is made of high-quality 210T polyester Oxford cloth, which is tear-resistant, waterproof, UV and wind resistant. A thick layer of PE waterproof cloth is added to the bottom of the tent. The Premium fabric can avoid sunlight Irradiation to prevent equipment aging，small window design is convenient for ventilation.
- 【Multi-Purpose Use】Hwayslon Bicycle Storage Shed can easily store bicycles, swimming pool supplies, garden equipment, children's toys and other things you want to store. It can also be used as a campground. Can be used for any purpose you want.
- 【Quick to Set-up and Take Down】It takes less than 10 minutes to assemble the tent and requires no tools (Contact us if any assistance is needed)! Straighten the frame and insert it into the gap reserved in the tent, bend the frame into an arch with a little force and use a shorter frame to open the width to use, windproof nail Will protect the bicycle shed more sturdily for outdoor use.